This video was created by the NO MORE campaign to shed light on the importance of primary prevention, bystander intervention, and NO MORE ignoring the huge problem that is sexual assault and domestic violence.
As the new Rape Prevention Education coordinator, I am excited to get started! It is my hope that I can help this program grow in both its material and its scope. In this section, you can expect to find things from poetry to news articles to guest blog posts about things like body image, gender equity, cross-sectional feminism, domestic abuse and sexual assault, as well as fun things like gadgets and local happenings.
This week's spotlight video feature comes from the NO MORE campaign, which strives to break the silence of victims and to end violence. The NO MORE campaign utilizes actors and actresses from famous shows to draw attention, like Mariska Hargitay from Law & Order SVU. By using this popular face often associated with domestic violence and sexual assault, they hope to gain attention and normalize discussing these difficult topics to encourage more victims to come forward and hopefully stop the cycle of abuse. These statistics from their website illuminate the importance of preventative education to stop the abuse that seems never-ending
- 1 in 3 teens experience sexual or physical abuse or threats from a boyfriend or girlfriend in one year.
- 1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men experience violence from their partners in their lifetimes.
- 1 in 5 women are survivors of rape.
- 1 in 2 women and 1 in 5 men have experienced some form of sexual victimization in their lives.
- 1 in 4 women and 1 in 6 men were sexually abused before the age of 18.
These are the types of entries to check for biweekly on the blog. The spotlight will be featured at the top of my homepage, and then more in-depth information will be provided in this area.
Be sure to check back often to see what's new!